Thursday, October 04, 2012

Article: Polls, Pundits Give Romney Historic Debate Victory; Will It Matter?


The Christian Post has a good breakdown and analysis of last night's presidential debate, a debate most observers agree was won by Mitt Romney hands down.
I guess the key question being asked though, is, "Will it matter?". Frankly, I don't think it will.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I still feel like Obama will end up winning in the end. This is the first of three debates. They still have two more debates coming up, dealing with social issues and foreign policy. Social issues like gay marriage and abortion "rights" are always a minefield for any Republican candidate, so I expect Obama to have the edge there. Foreign policy should be the President's strength since he has the power of incumbency and active foreign policy experience, as opposed to Romney, who might have some good ideas, but no actual experience in that area. This might seem to be an area of advantage for Obama, but his problem is that he actually has a foreign policy record to defend, and many areas for Romney to attack (such as the White House's dissembling, deceptive spinning of the story regarding the recent assassination of our ambassador to Libya [see stories here, and here on this, for example]).

Yes, I still think Obama will win, and I'll be shocked out of my mind if Romney pulls off the victory. But in the meantime, it's kinda fun to see so many liberals being quite uncomfortable,  if not downright nervous  even panicky, at seeing that Romney might be more of a challenge to Obama this November than they thought.

Interestingly, I think one of the most telling comments in all this come from NBC's Tom Brokaw, who said that if Romney had performed like Obama did last night this thing would have been over.  He's 100% right on that. The media would have pounced on Romney like jackals on a wounded deer, and essentially stuck the long knives into his campaign to try and finish him off. Now they cant quite do that  something, I firmly believe many of them were hoping, and still hope, to do so their guy can get re-elected.

At the end of the day, my position remains the same. No man has the answer to America's, or the world's, problems. I know who I'd prefer to see win this thing, but I'm not sure in the end it will really matter that much. At it's core, America's problems are neither social nor political; they are spiritual, and when all is said and done, if America continues to stray away from it's original biblical foundations and principles, we'll just continue to march headlong toward the day of destruction which is sure to come. Meanwhile, however, God bless America. And God help America.




No comments: