Saturday, May 12, 2007

The Slow Death of The Republican Party


I'm not a Republican, and never will be. But I am an independent conservative. And like most social conservatives, I've always looked at the Republicans as the party that represents conservatism on a national level. Obviously that is changing. And the mere fact that Rudolph Giuliani is the clear front-runner in the 2008 presidential race is very telling. It's indicative of a bigger problem that conservatives/Republicans will face in the future.

Not only has the Democratic party been shifting from the left to the far left, but the Republicans have been gradually shifing leftward also, in an attempt to seem "moderate" and appeal to the political center. In the process they are compromising like never before. Guiliani, for example, is pro "gay rights", and "pro-choice on the abortion issue.

In his own words: “I’m pro-choice. I’m pro-gay rights,” Giuliani said. He was then asked whether he supports a ban on what critics call partial-birth abortions. “No, I have not supported that, and I don’t see my position on that changing,” he responded. Source: CNN.com, “Inside Politics” Dec 2, 1999

The man doesnt even oppose partial birth abortion! A man like this wouldn't even have had a snowball's chance in hell even 15-20 years ago int the Republican party; now he's their frontrunner. Personally I feel like if the Republican candidate is going to be, in effect, a conservative Democrat in his positions, why even bother voting? In the future I expect more liberal Republicans like this to take over top leadership of the party over time.

Condolezza Rice speaking approvingly of "gay" partnerships was disturbing enough. Mitt Romney's wife giving money to an abortion rights group was just as disturbing, but not surprising I guess. The Rebublicans are sensing a more liberal shift in society as a whole, so I guess they feel the only way to win elections now is to compromise. But in the process they're losing their identity, and selling their soul for votes.

True conservatism in the party is dying before our eyes. The long term social implications for this country are sobering and disturbing. Ronald Reagan must be rolling in his grave.

No comments: