Friday, February 15, 2008

Charles Barkley Calls Conservatives "Fake Christians"


Charles Barkley has been running his mouth again. The outspoken sportscaster and retired basketball player, known for being opinionated, has decided to bash Republicans and Conservatives in a recent CNN interview, calling them "fake Christians".

Among the pearls of wisdom from Mr. Arrogant himself, the following comments:

“[B]ut I don't like the way the Republicans are taking this country,” Barkley said. “Every time I hear the word conservative it makes me sick to my stomach because they’re really just fake Christians, as I call them. That’s all they are.”

“Well, I think they want to be judge and jury,” Barkley said. “Like, I’m for gay marriage. It’s none of my business if gay people want to get married. I’m pro-choice. And I think these Christians, first of all, they’re not supposed to judge other people. But they’re the most hypocritical judge of people we have in the country. And it bugs the hell out of me. They act like they’re Christians. They’re not forgiving at all.”

Of course his words presuppose that all Republicans are religious, or are Christians (they're not). Nonetheless, his anti-Christian tone is obvious, and quite odious.

When I think of words like this, I'm reminded of the Lord's words in Malachi 4:1

"Surely the day is coming; it will burn like a furnace. All the arrogant and every evildoer will be stubble, and that day that is coming will set them on fire," says the LORD Almighty. "Not a root or a branch will be left to them.

Mockers and unbelievers will continue to speak harsh words against Christianity. Lets hope "Sir Charles" gets his act together before the day comes when he leaves this earth. Otherwise, he wont be speaking so proudly on the day that he stands before God.

Understandably, many Christians will be angry and offended by Charles Barkley's words. But frankly, this man is to be pitied.

Full article here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was appalled by the ignorant and close minded comments made by Charles Barclay on Conservative Christians. This man has made these type of remarks in the past. These remarks are absolutely unacceptable.

Timothy said...

It's despictable comments and it's the sign of the times. Many conservative love Christianity and love tolerance. They just dissent with wickedness and evil actions like killing unborn babies.

By Timothy